Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. Rotational torque is the force exerted on an object to make it rotate spontaneously. Torque measuring instruments are widely used as process control tools to help manufacturers to maximize their productivity. Torque sensors use strain gauges that are fitted to the axis of rotation. To use this method, a device is required to supply the strain gauge bridge, as well as a device to receive signals from the axis of rotation. This can be achieved by using slip rings or rotary transformers. Nowadays, adjustment electronics and A/D converters are added to the rotating shaft for easier and faster data transfer.
Torque sensors can be used to measure torque in rotating systems. It is widely used as automation control tools in varies industries. Static and Dynamic are two main types of torque sensors. They were defined by the way torque or force are measured. Static torque sensor has a simpler working principle and measuring method than dynamic torque sensor. Both static and dynamic has a mechanical stop function to improve overload capacity and provide protection in the installation and operation process. There are other common torque sensors such as reaction torque sensor, rotary torque sensor, proximity torque sensor and magneto strictive transducer. Choose the most suitable torque sensors for measurement can help to maximise efficiency and accuracy.
Torque sensor as a kind of precision measuring instrument for measuring various torque, rotational speed and mechanical power. It is mainly used for:
- motor, engine, internal combustion engine and other rotating power equipment output torque and power detection;
- fan, water pump, gearbox, torsion plate hand torque and power detection;
- detection of torque and power in railway locomotive, automobile, tractor, aircraft, ship and mining machinery;
- detecting torque and power in sewage treatment system;
- laboratory, testing department, production monitoring and quality control purpose;