Such places include environments where explosives or flammable chemicals such as petrol are handled, as well as chemical facilities with potentially toxic vapours:
- Oil refineries and processing plants
- Petrol stations
- Printing factories or warehouses
- Underground coal mines
- Sugar refineries
- Grain handling and storage areas
- And more!
In such environments, it is crucial to use equipment that is explosion-proof to reduce the risk of fire and explosions as much as possible.
What is IECEx?
IECEx is the IEC System for Certification to Standards relating to Equipment for use in explosive atmospheres. This system ensures that all equipment used in explosive or hazardous areas meet strict requirements to protect people and installations against risks.
IECEx provides several services, including:
- A testing system to ensure the equipment and area meets specific safety standards
- Certification of equipment, services and personnel working in hazardous environments
The IECEx system is endorsed by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) as the world’s best practice model when it comes to the verification of conformity to international standards for explosive atmospheres.
Why is IECEx certification important?
An IECEx certificate shows clear proof of compliance with international standards. This is an important assurance for businesses and organisations that are responsible for the safety of people working in hazardous areas, as well as the equipment and location in which they operate.
The IECEx Certificate of Conformity is issued to:
- a manufacturer of equipment for products that meet the relevant requirements of IEC Standards, AND
- products manufactured in factories that meet requirements checked regularly by surveillance audits